i found this puréed beets with yogurt and caraway by martha rose schulman and thought i’d give it a try with organic valley’s new 100% grass-fed, cream on top grassmilk yogurt.
i wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s really, really good! i think it works all by itself as a savory/spicy yogurt but would also pair well with lamp or pork as a condiment in addition to eating with warm pita bread as martha rose schulman suggests.
if you end up making let me know what you think and if you ate it standalone or as a condiment.
don’t skip the ground caraway! it really brings in unique element to the recipe.
1 ½ pounds beets (4 medium), roasted beets
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup plain grassmilk yogurt
1 tablespoon agave syrup or light corn syrup
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cayenne, to taste
Salt to taste
– preheat oven to 350F
– roast beets for about an hour
– peel beets, cut into wedges and let cool
– crush and finely chop garlic
– add beets and garlic together in blender and pulse to chop beets into smaller chunks
– add yogurt and puree until smooth
– add agave nectar or light corn syrup, olive oil, ground caraway, cayenne and salt to taste.
– continue to blend until well mixed.