i saw a passing reference on twitter to bacon popcorn and i wondered how on earth i could get to my age and have never of heard of or tried two of my favorite things together.
Ms6 has confiscated the bowl of bacon-fat popcorn because "Dad stop eating a handful at a time!!!"
— John SJ Anderson (@genehack) November 16, 2013
and since we semi-regularly make bacon we have little containers of bacon fat sitting around, so bacon popcorn could be a great way to use up the grease.
1/2 cup bacon grease
1 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
0.5 stick organic valley pasture butter
1. i really don’t need to tell you how to make popcorn in a pan, right? probably not. but just in case you’ve forgotten, here you go. melt the bacon grease in a large – at least 6 quarts – pan. throw in a test kernel. when it pops you’re ready to add the rest of the popcorn.
2. add the rest of the popcorn and shake the pan back and forth constantly so the unpopped kernels stay on the bottom and eventually pop.
3. when the popping slows down to almost stopping, remove from heat.
4. melt the pasture butter in a small pan. you could use a lesser butter but trust me you want to pair up the bacony flavor with the delicious pasture butter flavor.
5. put the popcorn in a paper grocery bag and slowly drizzle a small amount of melted butter over the popcorn. shake. add salt to taste. shake some more. repeat until the butter is gone.
i’m sure there are plenty of ways to fancy it up with powdered cheddar cheese or bacon bits but the basic recipe is excellent with it’s subtl-ish bacony flavor combined with the taste of the extradordinary pasture butter. definitely a keeper.
Frida waits while I make bacon popcorn https://t.co/6g1EpItdwv
— Eric C. Snowdeal III (@snowdeal) November 16, 2013